What will I learn?
Delegates will gain a practical knowledge of UML and Enterprise Architect to allow them to immediately start working on projects using UML and Enterprise Architect.
Introduction to the Unified Modelling Language (UML)
- Brief introduction covering what the UML is including diagram types and very brief history
Introduction to Enterprise Architect
- What is Enterprise Architect?
- EA Architecture
- A look at the object browser and how models are structured using views and packages
- Diagramming techniques
- Enterprise Architect Options menu
- Enterprise Architect Settings menu
- How to search the model
- Focus is on getting new users to a point where they are familiar with how to use the tool and where to find certain features; also trying to instil best practice early on such as using package diagrams to structure views and reuse of elements in the model.
- How to draw the Use Case diagram
- Identification of use cases and actors
- Discussion on application within iterative development methodologies
- Specification of Use Cases (Basic Flow, Alternate Flows, Exception Flows) using text
- Common issues and their solutions
- How to draw Activity diagrams
- Look at how to document use case specifications diagrammatically with activity diagrams and the benefits it brings
- Look at business process modelling using activity diagrams and the advantage of using structured activities
- Discuss classes and objects
- How to draw class diagrams
- Differences between domain modelling and implementation modelling
- Object diagram (brief overview)
State Machine Diagram
- How to draw State Machine Diagrams
- How to Model an Object State in EA so that those states are available for that object throughout the model.
- Discuss differences between using sequence diagrams for analysis or design
- How to draw sequence diagrams
- How to draw Component Diagrams
- Discuss Applications of Component Diagrams such as analysing existing Architectures to look for possible optimisations
- Show how to link component class design to the component without compromising the structure of the model
- How to draw Deployment Diagrams
- Discuss what a Deployment Diagram represents
There are no pre-requisites for this course but delegates should have some understanding of the Unified Modelling Language (UML).